Thursday, December 9, 2021
In view of the recent developments which have led to the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG) abandoning and suspending operations at its Krobo District office in Somanya and relocating to Juapong, the MP for the Yilo Krobo Constituency, Hon. Albert Tetteh Nyakotey has engaged management of ECG, together with Leadership of a coalition of Krobo Youth groups to find an amicable solution.
Following a recent demonstration which was an off-shoot of a pre-existing impasse between the people of Kroboland and ECG, the latter have moved out of their Krobo offices leading to prolonged power outages, and subsequently issued a press statement detailing the company’s next lines of action.
The engagement between the MP and the stakeholders, had the ECG together with youth Groups, Kloma Gbi and Kloma Hengme as well as Chiefs from Yilo and Manya Krobo present and some far-reaching resolutions were arrived at in the interests of both the Krobo Customers and the ECG.
The resolutions are detailed as follows;
1. That, there shall be a Resolution from all Assembly members, in the two Municipalities together with the two Presiding Members to the effect that, ECG workers shall have access to ECG installations and meters in the communities as well as the homes of customers without obstruction from anyone. (This is currently being done by the two assemblies)
2. That, no individual or group shall attack any ECG installations be it transformers or meters within the affected arears.
3. That, a Technical team from ECG together with at team of Both MP for Yilo and Manya would visit the affected sites of damaged ECG installations to assess the extent of damage. (This will be done early, Friday 10th December 2021.)
4. That, ECG shall immediately begin repair works on all broken/damaged installations in a bid to restore power to the affected Krobo Municipalities of Yilo and Manya.
5. That, there shall be another meeting to ascertain the level of progress made in relation to the aforementioned, to be climaxed with another Security meeting all in efforts to restore calm and ensure compliance to law and order as well as offering ECG staff a free hand to operate.
6. That, when all these conditions are met, ECG shall restore power to the affected Krobo municipalities but, the ECG shall operate from Juapong as indicated in their earlier release pending a final Management and Security meeting.
Hon Albert Tetteh Nyakotey admonishes all customers and members of the respective Municipalities to remain calm as he liaises with ECG, Chiefs and other stakeholders to bring resolve to this impasse. The MP shares in the plight individual households and businesses especially are going through by virtue of the power outages and assures that, it shall be over soon.
He is optimistic that the conditions specified in this release shall be satisfied in the shortest possible time as quite a few have already began, so that Power would be restored to Yilo and Manya Municipalities surely by close of day tomorrow Friday, December 10, 2021.
Later today, both MP’s for Yilo and Manya, Hon Albert Nyakotey and Hon Okletey will be in another meeting with the ECG Boss to push for a restoration of power by close of day tomorrow as indicated.
Emmanuel Akumatey Okrah
(Aide to MP -Yilo Krobo Constituency)